So we've been thinking about the $500,000 bond required of the victimized Mike Cooper, and we did a little search through Google News for some comparisons.
• $300,000. Bail amount for man charged with 250 rounds of ammunition to Guyana in a barrel.
• $750,000. Bail amount for man who admitted stabbing and killing another man.
• $50,000. Bail amount for woman accused of shooting her sister.
• $150,000: Bail amount for man accused of entering a 66-year-old woman's house and brutally beating her.
• $50,000: Bail amount for man charged with a hit-and-run incident that killed a man.
• $400,000: Bail amount for Duke lacrosse rape suspects.
• $500,000: Bail amount for Mike Cooper.
This isn't funny anymore; this is insane.
(OK, it's still kind of funny.)
(UPDATE: Here's the docket information for the case. And guess what? Today is Mike Cooper's 26th birthday.)
(SECOND UPDATE: In a moment of sanity, the bond was reduced to $500, and Cooper has been released. Welcome back, Coop!)