The World Series of Poker main event kicked off last night. About 1/4th of it, anyway. 2,138 players began play, and they played until they were down to 800. Some factoids from Day 1A (days 1B, 1C, and 1D run through Monday):
• The people at the Rio were mad about all the ".com" advertisements people were sporting, so you're going to see a lot of black tape on people's hats and shirts when ESPN finally gets around to televising things.
• The first elimination took 7 minutes. There's $10,000 well spent.
• Norm MacDonald held the chip the lead at one point. He was eventually busted.
• A woman dressed as a nun was the chip leader at various points through the day.
• Tobey Maguire lasted a few rounds, until he was busted by Mike Sexton.
• Among the other celebrity eliminations: Mekhi Phifer, Antonio Tarver, Matthew Lillard, James Garner.
• Among the real player eliminations: Amir Vahedi, Clonie Gowen, Dan Harrington, Gus Hansen, Dutch Boyd, and
• The chip leader after Day 1A is Paul McCaffrey. This means absolutely nothing.