It was in the Simpsons episode Marge and Homer Turn a Couple Play that Homer, disgusted at a player during an Isotopes game, hurls various batteries onto the field, following it up by throwing an electric drill. J.D. Drew knows the feeling. Each time he plays in Philadelphia, the calm, measured Citizens Bank Park crowd has something new in store for him. On Wednesday they tried to boo him back to the Stone Age, as usual, but it didn't throw him off.
Drew was 4-for-5 with a home run in Boston's 7-4 win over the Phillies. He has seven homers in his past 11 games, and is hitting .441 with nine homers and 21 RBI since replacing the injured David Ortiz on May 31. In the first, Mike Lowell followed Drew's three-run homer with a homer of his own, his 11th.
The City of Brotherly Bile has hated Drew ever since he refused to sign with the Phillies after they drafted him in 1997. "They're not going to forget, I know that much,'' Drew said. "It's always one of those situations where you go out there and battle and you're going to hear things that you don't normally hear at other parks. It makes it fun.'' Except, you know, for the batteries.
• Jerry's Kids. Damion Easley's homer in the 10th won it for the Mets, 5-4 over the Angels, for Jerry Manuel's first win as New York's manager. It was the 501st win of his career, and came 4 1/2 years after his 500th. David Wright singled home the tying run with two outs in the ninth. Meanwhile, the shock of being fired has finally worn off and Willie Randolph is talking about it.
• Uh Oh. Carlos Zambrano is out now? That's not certain, but what is known is that the Cubs' pitcher allowed five runs and seven hits over 6 2/3 innings, departing after throwing 100 pitches because of discomfort in his right shoulder. Andy Sonnanstine allowed three runs in five-plus innings as Tampa Bay won 5-4, clinching its ninth consecutive series at home. B.J. Upton, Eric Hinske, Evan Longoria and Willy Aybar all drove in runs for the Rays in the third.
• Millar's Crossing. Jeremy Guthrie allowed just three hits through eight innings, but didn't get the decision as it took Kevin Millar's walk-off single in the 10th to win it for the Orioles, 2-1 over the Astros.
• Simpsons Baseball Quote Of The Week. "What a game! I got on the kiss-cam, I participated in the wave and I got to pee in a trough. Marge, can we get a trough?" "For the last time, no!"
• Wizard Cat Defensive Player Of The Day. Michael Bourn, Houston Astros. The Bourn Supremacy ... the Orioles' Nick Markakis is robbed of a homer with two out in the third, as Bourn makes the grab in front of a stoic Baltimore bullpen. Wizard Cat gives this catch: Four wands.
Contact Wizard Cat at Wizardcat@live.com