It's time for Minor Enterprise, which celebrates Minor League baseball and all else that is good and great about America. And now, please rise as William Hung sings his rendition of our National Anthem ...
May 15 was Totally Rad '80s Night with the Fresno Grizzlies, and by all accounts it did not disappoint. Front and center was Cobra Kai menace Johnny Lawrence (aka Billy Zabka), in the middle in this picture here, taken on Thursday with his new gang. Johnny really hasn't changed all that much from the looks of this photo. Bobby; I want him out of commission! Looks like he could still grab your boom box at the beach and throw it violently into the sand.
Here's a report on the festivities by Grizzlies director of media relations Paul Kennedy:
First of all, Billy was awesome, just an extremely cool guy. We had our best Thirsty Thursday crowd of the year, tons of people got into it and dressed up in 80’s outfits, and Zabka signed autographs for what seemed like forever. For the past three weeks, to hype the event, we’ve done an in-game contest where we bring someone on top of the dugout to answer trivia questions about Zabka. He was cool enough that we were able to do “Zabka on Zabka” last night and ask him trivia about himself, which the crowd loved.
Get him a body bag, yeah!
Taking a look at upcoming promotions and other swell stuff:
• Indiana Jones Night. Tonight, Ft. Myers Miracle (Class A Florida State League). One of many such promotions tonight around the minors, fans will, oh, I don't know, maybe punch a Nazi. Got your tickets for the midnight showing of Crystal Skull?
• Internet Safety Night With Erik Estrada. Saturday, May 24. Potomac Nationals (Class A Carolina League). You'll be pleased to know that Poncherello is now a spokesman for the Safe Surfin' campaign, which educates youngsters on the dangers of surfing the Internet. Of course the fact that you're here means that Ponch has already failed. They're also giving away "Internet safety-themed literature," which seems like an oxymoron.
• Tap Dance Day. Sunday, May 25. St. Paul Saints (Independent American Association). The Saints break new bobble ground when 2,500 lucky fans will receive the Sen. Larry Craig Bobblefoot doll. The toy features a bobbing foot extended below the partition of a bathroom stall, meant to commemorate the day that Sen. Craig was arrested for tapping his foot at an undercover police officer in a Minneapolis airport bathroom. I can hear Robert Klein singing I Can't Stop My Leg as clear as anything.
• Soybean Night. Monday, May 26. Fargo-Moorhead Redhawks (Independent Northern League). The glory. The pageantry. (Plenty of seats still available).
• We Love The Drake. June 12. Ft. Myers Miracle (Class A Florida State League). Help the Miracle celebrate the TV sitcom Seinifeld, which left the air 10 years ago this month. Serenity now!
• The Modesto Nuts Reprise Great Baseball Movie Scenes. Members of the Modesto Nuts (Class A California League) reenact a scene from The Sandlot. That one guy has Squints pretty much nailed.
• Bobblehead Of The Moment. Pat Sajak Bobblehead Giveaway. Sunday, May 25. Bowie Baysox (Class AA Eastern League). I must have this item! Mr. Wheel of Fortune himself makes his first public appearance at Prince George's Stadium, and will sign autographs. Pat Sajak will sign body parts!
Please send all minor league tips, including photos, game reports and promotions, to RickChand@GMail.com. Or, you can choose to solve the puzzle.