Your roundup of all the hottest hot-stove items of the day (and whatever shit Ken Rosenthal is throwing against the wall). This is ... HOT FUCKING STOVE!!!!
• Jonathan Papelbon is on the Phillies, apparently. Four years, and 50 million
dollars. Papelbon's status as a Type A free agent will force Philadelphia to hand over a first-round pick as compensation. A candlelight vigil will be held in its honor. [MLB.com]
• The Pirates need a shortstop. Naturally, in keeping with their 20-year rebuilding project, their first inclination has pointed them toward the 32-year-old Ramon Santiago. [MLB Trade Rumors]
• Shortstop Jamey Carroll is close to signing with the Minnesota Twins in quite possibly the most boring piece of hot stove news ever devised. [SB Nation]
• Ken Rosenthal throws some shit at the wall.
• Josh Hamilton, who played through injuries during the World Series, will undergo surgery for a sports hernia. Kudos to Hamilton for the accurate self-diagnosis. [ESPN]
• Sandy Alomar Jr., a managerial candidate for the Chicago Cubs opening, has some thoughts on how to handle Carlos Zambrano: "You want to have fun, but those are things that have to be addressed. I think he's an emotional guy. I think I'd have conversations with him, try to get in his mind and try and see what's going on, and hopefully figure it out. Or otherwise, bring a stun gun." [Chicago Tribune]