Former Chargers and Bills linebacker Shawne Merriman was rushed to a hospital from a Hollywood club last night, with what authorities would only describe as a "medical emergency." Now there's a report that Merriman may have partied a little too hard.
The Los Angeles Times reports that Merriman, who retired from the NFL this spring after eight seasons, was taken from The Colony nightclub to Cedars Sinai Medical Center around 9:30 p.m. local time. A police spokesman confirmed the news to NFL.com. Times reporter Andrew Blankstein now adds this:
BREAKING: Sources tell me Ex Charger, Shawne Merriman overdosed, ingested unspecified combo of alcohol-drug. Earlier: lat.ms/19fJYIv— Andrew Blankstein (@anblanx) June 10, 2013
No more details yet, but this is odd: Merriman has been active on Twitter this morning, beginning about four hours after he was reportedly hospitalized. He seems fine, other than some lost sunglasses and a ruined shirt. He tweeted a photo of himself with rapper The Game at another Hollywood club, Greystone Manor—The Game later shared his $16,000 bar tab from the night.
Update: TMZ reports that Merriman was "barely conscious," according to the person who called for medical help. But in video taken just three hours later, Merriman looks totally fine.