Punt returns for touchdowns have a certain formulaic quality to them. The blindingly fast return man catches the punt, perhaps breaks a tackle, and then weaves his way downfield into the end zone. As uncommon as they may be, if you've seen one you've seen them all.
That's what makes this punt return f
or a touchdown by Glenwood High School's (Chatham, Ill.) Austin Fay so damn exciting. Let's count the tackles he breaks:
- A gunner bears down upon Fay before he has a chance run, but Fay manages to turn and shrug off enough of the contact to stay on his feet
- Fay gets wrapped up and the tackler attempts to perform an unsuccessful suplex
- Two defenders—including the original gunner who missed a tackle—hit Fay but barely knock him off course
- After rumbling for 40 yards Fay gets hit, but it is the attempted tackler that falls to the ground
- Finally the second guy down the field tracks all the way back and tackles Fay from behind at the 5-yard line
I'll bet the only thing that can stop Austin Fay is a banner.