Ross Verba is an NFL offensive lineman. Well, he used to be, and then he wasn't, and now, I suppose he is again. Here's a quick list of things you should know about Ross Verba:
• He was selected in the first round of the NFL draft by the Green Bay Packers in '97.
• Was a Christian missionary when he first came into the league
• Missed all of 2003 with a torn bicep
• Started all of the 2004 season with the Browns
• Paid the Browns $465,000 to release him, and then did not play in 2005
• Had some rape allegations thrown his way
• Was spotted in Vegas partying with Paris Hilton, Tara Reid, and... Bob Sura.
• Won a half-million dollars in Vegas, then spent most of it on a pool party.
• According to Len Pasquarelli, most people felt he'd never play in the NFL again
So, of course, the next logical step there is for some NFL GM to give him $4 million to play this year, and a contract worth up to $20 million total. And there is one GM who was willing to to just that, and I bet you don't need any help in guessing who. That's right... our old pal Matt Millen.
$4 million this year, for a guy who did not play last year and was assumed to be out of football. As you read his column, you can almost hear Len Pasquarelli trying to refrain from chuckling. And hey, if it doesn't work out, maybe they could trade him to the Knicks for Jerome James.