It's hard to believe, but the NBA season is just around the corner. So come with us now as we present five tiny tidbits on each team, just to get you in the mood. Today we begin the Southeast Division, so do us a favor and send your tips to email@example.com.
• 1. The Highest Flyers In The NBA! The 1986 Hawks apparently had a slammin' music video to the tune of "The Atlanta Hawks: Atlanta's Air Force", by the timeless supergroup T. Grose and the Varsity. And if that doesn't grab you, how about a Tyrone Nesby rap? — (Thanks to Hotlanta Matt and J.E. Skeets).
• 2. Red Storm Warning. Speedy Claxton's sister, Lisa, currently is in her second season as a point guard for the St. John's women's basketball team.
• 3. He's Zaza, Dahling! Zaza Pachulia is possibly the best-dressed player in the NBA. "When I'm dressed nicely and when I feel good, I play well and my day is going good," he said. According to Salim Stoudamire, "The best dresser is probably Zaza. He's always got the Armani suits, stuff like that, with the little shoes that point up in the air."
• 4. Two-Timer. Assistant coach Bob Bender is the only person to have played in NCAA title games with two different teams. He was a freshman on Bob Knight's undefeated 1976 Indiana team, and was point guard at Duke from 1977-80, including an appearance in the 1978 title game against Kentucky.
• 5. The Lower 48. The Hawks haven't advanced beyond the second round of any playoff format since 1961, the NBA record. They also hold the record for most consecutive years without winning an NBA title, at 48.