It's hard to believe, but the NBA regular season begins today. And with the precision timing that you have come to know and love, here is our final NBA team preview. We've saved the best for last, one might say. And so, onward.
• 1. Pay Attention Isiah, You May Be Next. Well, let's start with this: the Knicks waived Jalen Rose on Monday, leaving their roster at 14, one below the maximum. Rose was scheduled to make $16.9 million this season. Meanwhile, the team reached a settlement with Larry Brown on the remainder of the fired coach's contract. Terms of the settlement were not disclosed. The Knicks like to push them deadlines.
• 2. All Welcome Southeast Jerome. Jerome James said that after being released by the Kings, he was given a garbage bag to clean out his locker. Following the Sonics' playoff series win against Sacramento in the 2004-05 season, he paraded around the court with a trash bag tied to his neck. Once, when asked if he was concerned about his former coach Nate McMillan commenting that he has a selfish attitude, replied, "I don't even know what he's talking about, I just worry about Jerome."
• 3. Um ... What? When coach Larry Brown pulle dhim out of a team film session for a one-on-one talk, Stephon Marbury later said of talking with Brown: "He flexed a real hard juice card, I know that. So he definitely made me aware of what he can do. But that doesn't scare me at all."
• 4. Number One Spot. Quentin Richardson was dating singer Brandy Norwood, but is now rumored to be engaged to singer/dancer Esther Baxter.
• 5. Beginning A New Chapter. Kelvin Cato is the author of two childrens books, h.o.o.p. (Help Out Other People) and t.e.a.m.w.o.r.k.