Time once again to check in on the world of minor league baseball, with Rick Chandler's Minor Enterprise!
Remember reading comic books as a kid, and thrilling to the adventures of the Fresno Grizzly and the Colorado Springs Sky Sox Coyote? Um, me neither. But with Minor League baseball's new partnership with Marvel Comics, you can now enjoy the heroic exploits of all Class-AAA team mascots; even the Portland Beaver, who on this cover seems to have some strange, ninja, pirate powers that I just don't understand. We touched on this earlier this week, but had no idea that the deal with Marvel was for all Triple-A clubs until the Grizzlies sent us this comic.
Superman. Batman. Spider-Man. These superheroes have given hope to the hopeless and provided people with the ability to live out their dreams through comic books and movies. These three superheroes and many more will be immortalized by the Fresno Grizzlies on Friday, August 3rd at Chukchansi Park as a part of Superhero Night. The first 5,000 fans through the gates will receive a free comic book, depicting familiar superheroes in a customized story for Triple A Baseball.
Batman will also be making an appearance at Chukchansi, as he will throw out the first pitch and will be on hand to sign autographs during the game. I just hope it's not the Val Kilmer one.
A few photos from Star Wars Night with the West Michigan Whitecaps, and, of course, the Amazing Christopher, all following the jump.
A report on Star Wars Night with the West Michigan Whitecaps from a couple weeks back. Among the highlights were a clone trooper playing the National Anthem on electric guitar, and, yes, a pig wearing an inner tube. Industrial Light and Magic, you've done it again! [Thanks to Midwest Garrison]
This week's dandy promotions:
• Tribute To Watermelon. Today. Columbus Catfish (Class-A South Atlantic League). All I'll say is, it's about time.
• The Amazing Christopher/Scout Sleepover Night. Saturday, Aug. 4. Altoona Curve (Class-AA Eastern League). A man dressed as the Indian Chief from The Village People, combined with a sleepover for young scouts? I prefer to call it What Could Possibly Go Wrong Night.
• Tribute To Montreal With Tim Wallach. Sunday, Aug. 5. Vermont Lake Monsters (Class-A New York Penn League). The Lake Monsters used to be an affiliate of the Montreal Expos, and will pay tribute to those roots when they welcome former Expo Tim Wallach for a picture and autograph session. So gather all of your Tim Wallach memorabilia and prepare for epic excitement. [Thanks to Benjamin Hill]
• Strike Out High Cholesterol Night. Monday, Aug. 6. Albuquerque Isoptopes (Class-AAA Pacific Coast League). Not only have the Isotopes teamed up with a research-based pharmaceutical company to educate the public on increased LDL levels in adults, but it's also 50-cent Hot Dog Night! (This is true). Two great tastes that go great together!
• Make Your Own Promotion Night. Wednesday, Aug. 8. Jupiter Hammerheads (Class-A Florida State League). Um, nickel beers? And, the drinking fountains also dispense beer?
• Lindsay Lohan Drunk Driver Awareness Night. Thursday, Aug. 2. Savannah Sand Gnats (Class-A South Atlantic League). Sadly I missed this event, and I really wanted to attend ... it was also Thirsty Thursday, and beer was half price. Plus, Hook Towing had a wrecked car from a drunk driving accident on display at the main gate, and there was a blood alcohol testing van for the kids. Come to think of it, I also missed Britney Spears Car Seat Safety Day last year. [Thanks to Coley Ward at UmpBump].
• Mascot Of The Week. Stitches. Elmira Pioneers (Amateur New York Collegiate Baseball League). Please do not mash Stitches. Seriously, kids ... hey! Stitches is supposed to be round, not shaped like a pierogi. Watch the eye! Goddamn it! Stitches hates kids!
• Bobblehead Of The Moment. Jeff Samardzija Bobblehead Giveaway, Today. Boise Hawks (Class-A Northwest League). Will the collectible depict Samardzija in the uniform of his former minor league baseball team, the Hawks, or in Notre Dame football gear (he was a receiver for the Fighting Irish)? The answer is unclear. What we do know: Samardzija's nickname is The Shark, he gave up a single to Barry Bonds in Cactus League play this year, and he has his own blog.
We need your minor league tips! Send any photos, game reports, promotion news or Green Goblin sightings to RickChand@GMail.com. And thank you, citizen!