Of course you all know the University of South Carolina Gamecock, pictured at left. But you may not be familiar with Blowie, the mascot of the Columbia Blowfish of the Coastal Plain League (the only costumed mascot who is deadly poisonous if not properly cooked). I'm not sure of the circumstances which brought them together, so all I can assume is that it was a part of God's great plan. Gamecock and Blowie were meant to be together; it's not unnatural or disgusting at all. Oh come on, look at the photo, it won't bite. Stop being such a baby! Just try it this one time.
The CPL of course is a collegiate summer league, but operated as a professional minor league from 1937 to 1952. The CPL returned in 1997 to fill a void in summer baseball, and now features 14 teams from North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia. Among them are the Thomasville Hi-Toms, the Wilmington Sharks and the Wilson Tobs. But none of their mascots can equal the charm and brooding sex appeal of Blowie, seen in action below during a 2007 game.
And remember, kids love Blowie!
Now, a trip to the land of minor league promotions:
• Prom Gone Wrong Night. Tonight, Stockton Ports (Class A California League). Featuring painful songs of heartache and rejection; awkward and embarrassing photos on the video board; parental chaperones ... just like your prom, except that afterwards there might be sex. [Thanks to Benjamin Hill]
• 80's Hair Rock Night. Friday, May 9. West Virginia Power (Class A South Atlantic League). I always get my Hair Rock confused with my Glam Rock and my Glitter Rock. At any rate, there should be plenty of Mott The Hoople.
• Mascot/PA Announcer Tryouts. Saturday, May 10, Grand Prairie AirHogs (Independent American Association). "The Grand Prairie AirHogs have announced try-outs for various positions this coming Saturday. The team hopes to find its PA Announcer, Mascot, and National Anthem Singers all in one day. All are welcome. The auditions will take place at QuikTrip Park at Grand Prairie, located at 1600 Lone Star Parkway." Also, it couldn't hurt to bring your glove.
• Soybean Night. May 27, Fargo-Moorehead Redhawks (Independent Northern League). Not sure of the details here. All I know is that it's sponsored by the North Dakota Soybean Council, and you know how crazy those guys can get.
• Figurine of the Moment. Ryan Howard Snow Globe Giveaway, Tonight, Reading Phillies (Class AA Eastern League). Howard, a Reading Phillies alumn, as you've always imagined him: In a Santa outfit, in a globe, surrounded by fake snow. It'll be our merriest Christmas ever!
Send all minor league baseball promotional tips, photos and game accounts to RickChand@GMail.com. Thanks!