For those of you unfamiliar with the sordid story of former agent/junior hockey coach David Frost, prepare to get weirded out. Yesterday in Napanee, Ontario, Frost was acquitted of four charges of sexual exploitation. The allegations? That back in 1996 and 1997, during his stint as coach of a Junior A hockey team in Eastern Ontario, Frost (29 at the time) engaged in numerous threesomes with two of his teenaged players and their girlfriends. But that's not where the creepiness ends:
• During testimony, the two women claimed that Frost had a Sven Gali-like hold over their boyfriends, and in fact controlled all aspects of their lives. Such assertions are nothing new when it comes to Frost (see Danton, Mike, below).
• On that note, the two players testified as witnesses...for Frost. Frost's lawyer also insinuated that one of the women imagined the whole thing, and that the women colluded on their testimony (the latter charge apparently held some sway with the judge).
• Frost did not testify at trial. But after the verdict was read, he had this pleasant little exchange with the sister of one of the women: Sister: Scumball! Frost: Go fuck yourself.
• During argument, the defence conceded that hockey players are no strangers to group sex. In his verdict, the judge stated that the trial, "exposed a dark and very unhealthy side of hockey."
• You may remember Frost from the whole insane Mike Danton story. You remember Mike Danton, don't you? He was the St. Louis Blues player who hired a hitman to kill Frost, his former agent and junior hockey coach, a crime for which he is currently incarcerated. I'm not even going to get into the layers of insanity in that story, but there's a nice account here.
• The trial took place in Napanee, Ontario, which is the hometown of...you guessed it...Avril Lavigne.
Essentially, the judge found that the Crown Attorney failed to meet the requisite burden of proof for a conviction on any of the charges. So Frost is now free to keep doing...whatever the hell Frost does in his day-to-day life. Frankly, I'd just as soon not know.
Frost acquitted on all sexual exploitation charges [CBC]
David Frost acquitted of sexual exploitation charges [Toronto Star]
The Bizarre World of Mike Danton [Art Voice]