Yesterday, the jury trying to decide whether former Yankee Jim Leyritz should serve up to 15 years in prison for a DUI accident that left a young mother dead said they were deadlocked. They'll resume deliberations today.
If they cannot [reach a verdict], a mistrial will be declared. Prosecutors say there would be a second trial.
• The victim, Fredia Veitch, was hit at 3 a.m. in Fort Lauderdale.
• The DUI line is .08. The driver blew a 0.14 several hours later.
• Defense attorneys said the traumatic brain injury in the collision "caused Leyritz's digestive system to slow down, which would make a later blood test untrustworthy."
• 'Killer' Yankee Leyritz's crying shame at trial [New York Post]
• Haunted by DUI, ex-Yankee Jim Leyritz proclaims his innocence [NY Daily News]
• Jim Leyritz knew his DUI victim [Hollywood Grind]