Chicago White Sox pitcher Mike Clevinger will not face discipline from Major League Baseball following its investigation into allegations of domestic violence and child abuse.
"The comprehensive investigation included interviews of more than 15 individuals, in addition to Mr. Clevinger and the complainant, as well as a review of available documents, such as thousands of electronic communication records," MLB said in a prepared statement issued Sunday. "The Office of the Commissioner has closed this investigation and, barring the receipt of any new information or evidence, the Office of the Commissioner will not be imposing discipline on Mr. Clevinger in connection with these allegations."
The MLB statement added Clevinger has "voluntarily agreed to submit to evaluations by the joint treatment boards under the collectively bargained policies, and to comply with any of the boards' recommendations. MLB will continue to make support services available to Mr. Clevinger, his family, and other individuals involved in the investigation."
The White Sox signed Clevinger to a free agent deal in December. However, last month, The Athletic reported the league already was in the midst of investigating allegations made against him last summer when he was a member of the San Diego Padres.
"The Chicago White Sox respect that the joint policies of MLB and the MLBPA govern this matter," the team said in its own statement on Sunday. "We accept the conclusion of the thorough, months-long investigation conducted by the Commissioner's Office with respect to Mike Clevinger. Per the terms of the joint policy, the White Sox will not comment further on this matter."
The investigation concerned claims made by the mother of Clevinger's young daughter, per The Athletic.
The woman told The Athletic that she provided details of several alleged incidents to MLB investigators, including Clevinger choking and slapping her and throwing used chewing tobacco on their child.
When Clevinger, 32, reported to spring training last month, he didn't go into details about the allegations but insisted there was more to the story.
"I'm just asking everybody to wait before they rush to judgment," Clevinger said. "Wait until the actual facts are out there. Wait until the actual evidence and then make a decision on who you think I am."
Clevinger's deal in Chicago is for one year and $12 million. He will receive $8 million in 2023 with a mutual $12 million option for 2024 that includes a $4 million buyout.
Clevinger went 7-7 with a 4.33 ERA in 23 appearances (22 starts) for the Padres last season. He made two postseason starts and went 0-1 with a 23.63 ERA, and failed to record a single out in Game 4 of the National League Championship Series against the Philadelphia Phillies.
The former fourth-round draft pick by the Los Angeles Angels in 2011 spent his first 4 1/2 seasons in Cleveland before his young career hit a snag. He was moved to the Padres at the 2020 trade deadline after he had been suspended for violating team COVID-19 protocol.
Clevinger then pitched just four games with the Padres in 2020 before he needed Tommy John surgery, forcing him to miss the entire 2021 campaign.
In 128 career appearances (114 starts), Clevinger has gone 51-30 with a 3.39 ERA and 694 strikeouts over 656 2/3 innings.
--Field Level Media