It’s a day ending in y, which means that A’s third baseman Brett Lawrie and the Kansas City Royals are still engaging in a dumb feud. Let’s recap what has happened so far:
- Last Friday Brett Lawrie slid spikes up into Alcides Escobar’s leg, spraining his knee .
- After the game Lawrie texted an apology to Escobar, but was apparently given an incorrect number from the Royals’s Eric Hosmer, and Escobar never got it.
- On Saturday Yordano Ventura nailed Lawrie in the elbow with a fastball.
- On Sunday Lorenzo Cain was hit in the foot, and Kelvin Herrera retaliated by firing a missile behind Lawrie. Herrera then gestured towards his head, and later explained that he was telling Lawrie to be smart and “use his head,” while it looked to everybody else like he was telling Lawrie that next time he was going to implant a ball in his skull.
- On Tuesday, after a game against the Angels, Lawrie talked shit about Royals fans.
Two days later this beef should be over, but of course it’s not. On Tuesday the San Francisco Chronicle reported that Lawrie had pulled Albert Pujols into it:
Lawrie said that while he was at first base on Monday night, Albert Pujols told Lawrie that he plays the game hard and that the Royals had done some “bush-league stuff.”
Talking shit about another team seems pretty out of character for Pujols, and so it was no surprise to learn that he denies it. Before today’s game against the White Sox, Royals manager Ned Yost told reporters that Pujols personally called to tell him he’d said no such thing about the Royals. So who is lying here, Lawrie or Pujols? Probably Lawrie, right? As it turns out, neither of them!
Earlier this evening, the San Francisco Chronicle walked back their earlier reporting of Lawrie’s story about Pujols, saying that they had misinterpreted Lawrie’s comments:
That was an erroneous interpretation of Lawrie’s comments following the Royals’ suspensions on Tuesday. Two media outlets, including The Chronicle, thought Lawrie said that Pujols had told him the Royals do “bush-league stuff,” when in fact by that point, Lawrie was discussing himself – he was saying that’s how the Royals behave, rather than Pujols, two distinct sentences rather than one.
Here is what Lawrie said: “I talked to Albert Pujols at first base. This guy has been in the game forever, he’s one of the best players in the game. And for him to say that, ‘Hey man, you’re playing the game hard.’ And for them (the Royals) to do that, it’s bush league stuff. ”
Okay, if nobody asks any more questions and if Lawrie and the Royals shut up this will all go away ... until the two teams play again in June.