Jerramy Stevens Attacks Bouncers At Retired Surfers Bar

We may earn a commission from links on this page.

You know what, Jerramy Stevens? Everyone is getting a little sick of this. You stomp on people. You do horrible things to women. And now you get in a fight at a RETIRED surfers bar and break a bouncer's jaw when he and his helper bouncer ask you to leave because you're getting unruly at 8 p.m. on a Thursday? Mellow out, brah.

Sadly, it's hard to be surprised at this sort of behavior from Stevens (who was charged with felony battery). He has a rap sheet that stretches back to his high school days. The NFL suspended him in 2007 after he was convicted for "extreme drunken driving" and sentenced to 30 days in jail. And the incident at the surfer bar is at least the second time he's broken someone's jaw. In 2008, the Seattle Times ran a damning report on Stevens that included the following sordid information from his youth:

Stevens, 6 foot 7, 255 pounds, would be starting his third year at the UW in September. He looked to be perhaps the best tight end in the school's history - and the UW was known for great tight ends.

He'd gone to high school in Lacey, in Thurston County. Both his parents were teachers; his mother became an assistant principal.

In the spring of 1998, when he was a senior in high school, Stevens showed up at a prearranged fight in a park. There, his friend hit a 17-year-old, James Hoover, in the head with a baseball bat.

After Hoover collapsed - unconscious - Stevens jumped up and stomped on his face.

Hoover's jaw was broken. For six weeks, he ate with a straw.

And then there was this incident:

The month before, just after 3 a.m. on June 4, a UW student called 911 to report a possible rape in progress.

Walking back to his dorm, he'd passed a row of fraternities and sororities and seen two people against a building. A woman, wearing only a bra and maybe underwear, leaned against a wall, arms to her side. A tall man faced her, his back to the passer-by.

The situation didn't look right, the student told police. The woman looked right at him but did nothing to cover up. She looked drugged or drunk: "Half passed out ... eyes glazed ... no one home."

"The male was controlling things," the witness said. "It wasn't a two-person interlude."

When the man turned and caught sight of the passer-by, he moved the woman behind a bush.

Seattle police responded but couldn't find the two.

Nine hours later, around noon, a 19-year-old freshman woke up at the Pi Beta Phi sorority. She had a headache, stomach pain, sore ribs, scratched legs. She could barely move. Her bra and tube top were around her waist and covered in dirt. Her underwear was missing.

"What happened to me?" she asked her roommate.

About the same time, Jerramy Stevens emerged from his room. He lived with several teammates in a house north of campus. He pulled a pair of women's underpants out of his jeans pocket and, according to a police report, told a roommate, "Look what I have."

Stevens said he'd had sex with the freshman, whose middle name was Marie. "No way," the roommate said. He couldn't believe it, because he had heard Marie was a virgin.


Ugh. Stop it, Jerramy Stevens.

Tampa Bay Bucs exec Shelton Quarles, former player Jerramy Stevens arrested [The St. Petersburg Times]
Convicted of assault and accused of rape, star player received raft of second chances [The Seattle Times]