Serena Williams Says She's "Deeply Sorry For What Was Written"
Serena Williams said some regrettable things about the Steubenville rape case to Rolling Stone's Stephen Rodrick, and today she's released a statement apologizing, sort of.
She makes clear that she does not blame the 16-year-old victim, and that she's "deeply sorry" for "what was written." Serena isn't that great at apologies. Her statement:
What happened in Steubenville was a real shock for me. I was deeply saddened. For someone to be raped, and at only sixteen, is such a horrible tragedy! For both families involved – that of the rape victim and of the accused. I am currently reaching out to the girl’s family to let her know that I am deeply sorry for what was written in the Rolling Stone article. What was written – what I supposedly said – is insensitive and hurtful, and I by no means would say or insinuate that she was at all to blame.
I have fought all of my career for women’s equality, women’s equal rights, respect in their fields – anything I could do to support women I have done. My prayers and support always goes out to the rape victim. In this case, most especially, to an innocent sixteen year old child.
Photo: Getty
The Minnesota Twins Should've Traded Pablo Lopez Last Year
Why the NBA’s Tanking Problem Isn’t What You Think
Three Quarterbacks With the Most to Prove at the NFL Combine
Are the Pittsburgh Pirates Finally Ready to Contend in 2026?
Two Massive Questions That Will Define the NBA’s Second Half
- Best 2026 American League East Season-Long Future Betting Predictions
- Best College Basketball Bets for Monday: Duke vs Syracuse, Houston vs Iowa State
- NBA All-Star Game Betting Preview: Best Picks for World vs. USA and MVP Odds
- NBA All-Star Saturday Picks: Best Bets for the 3-Point Contest and Shooting Stars
- NBA Three-Point Contest 2026 Best Picks and Prediction Markets for All-Star Saturday
- NBA Picks Tonight: Three Best Bets Before the All-Star Break
- Best NBA Betting Picks for Wednesday Feb. 11th Slate

