Are you a fan of basketball? Do you enjoy traveling to Las Vegas? Do you appreciate young ladies of questionable legality traipsing around in tiny shirts that read "Where Amazing Happens" and very little else? Well then why the fuck would you miss the NBA's Vegas Summer League? »
It is my distinct pleasure to announce the formation of a new stable of writers who will be handling weekend duties here at Deadspin. Beginning in August we'll be featuring four new primary weekend writers, as well as two tremendous swing contributors who will presumably write for the site while not attending sexy key… »
When Kendall Holt first fought Ricardo Torres for the WBO Light Welterweight title back in September he had to do so in his opponent's home country of Colombia. To call the atmosphere "hostile" would be quite an understatement. When Holt knocked the champion down in the sixth round he was rewarded with a beer to the head … »
What to watch while wondering why it's always Ohio...
• MLB: Chicago White Sox at Chicago Cubs. I'm told they're not fond of each other, and with good reason. [ESPN]
• NBC: Olympics: U.S. Olympic Qualifying, Women's Gymnastics. Make.It.Stop.
• Show: Weeds, in case you missed Monday's season premier. [Showtime] »
• Oh, now everbody's flashing gang signs. [Flickr]
• Jim Edmonds has nearly mastered the no-look high-five. [Babes Love Baseball]
• Where will Arshavin go after his breakout Euro campaign? My money's on a certain London club with a billionaire Russian owner intent on world domination. Of course it's just a hunch. [… »
We're back live after a short intermission before the beginning of extra time. We're in for another thirty minutes of this, so get comfortable. Spain has already been peppering Italy with shots, but nothing is making its way to the goal. Silva just fired a rocket wide that would have sent chills through the body of… »
Holy crap, that first half was painful to watch. Sure I may not be a fan of Italy to begin with, but the flops and questionable challenges are sucking the quality right out of the game. To their credit they play stifling defense, but it's not exactly fan-friendly. Hopefully the second half will open up a bit, but it's… »
Welcome to the final quarterfinal match of Uefa 2008. Spain and Italy are set to kick things off in Vienna with the winner moving on to face Russia in the semifinals. The Spaniards are slightly favored over the defending World Cup champions, but all three favorites have been sent home over the last three days. Continue … »
• 12:15 — Documentary: Joe Louis: America's Hero Betrayed. Don't worry, it's only an hour and fifteen minutes, and it's tremendous. [HBO]
• 1:30 — MLB: St. Louis Cardinals at Boston Red Sox. [TBS]
• 1:30 — Formula One: Grand Prix of France. There will be cheese; BYOW. [FOX]
• 1:30 — IndyCar Racing: Ethanol IndyCar250… »
I've made no secret of my affection for Andre Berto, perhaps now you know why. The 24 year-old welterweight put the boxing world on notice, announcing his presence in the upper tier of the sport's best division. Berto earned the vacant WBC belt with a dazzling knockout performance against an admittedly mediocre Miki… »
After a rough start to the season Cleveland's C.C. Sabathia has found his groove on the mound, and now at the plate as well. The rotund power pitcher didn't like his teammates calling him a singles hitter after last year's round of interleague play, so he stepped into the box in his first at bat of the season and… »
Arthur Abraham didn't like the idea of people questioning his controversial hometown victory over Edison Miranda, so two years later he came stateside to make it official. Abraham thrice dropped Miranda, who fell back into his unfortunate habit of dirty fighting to no avail. After the third knockdown of the fourth… »
What you missed while kissing the oranje goodbye in a most tasteful manner
• MLB: Micah Owens and the Diamondbacks fell 6-1 in Minnesota. You'd think they'd let him bat, but no.
• CBB: The Tar Heels survive elimination thanks to another late home run.
• Boxing: Chazz Witherspoon was fortunate to be disqualified… »
Thanks to Awful Announcing for providing video of the worst rap in the history of car commercials (and that's a long list). I would have liked to have been in the room when the ad guys pitched this to Lou and Ozzie. I bet it sounded a lot more like the rap we're used to. Well, the vocabulary at least. »
What to watch while trying to forget this little bit of nightmare fuel (I suggest trying some of this stuff)...
• CWS: Fresno State vs. UNC, loser goes home (unless Fresno wins
• Olympics: U.S. Olympic Trials, Women's Gymnastics. Try not to stare, it's rude and creepy. [NBC]
• Boxing: See below
The last time Edison Miranda fought Arthur Abraham the result was a classic, albeit marred by some poor officiating. That night an undefeated Miranda traveled to Germany to face the similarly undefeated champion of Europe. Miranda broke Abraham's jaw in the fifth round, and the blood flowed from there. However Abraham … »
Here we go, two 15 minute periods of overtime action. If the match is still tied after that, it's on to penalties (but let's hope it doesn't come to that). Continue after the jump for live commentary and updates. »