Your roundup of all the hottest hot-stove items of the day (and whatever shit Ken Rosenthal is throwing against the wall). This is ... HOT FUCKING STOVE!!!!
• Tipster Dave sent us the above photo. "Pujols and his wife were behind me today in security at Lambert Airport," he wrote. "That is all I can report." Read into it what you will.
• Phillies bench coach Pete Mackanin and Rangers pitching coach Mike Maddux (Greg's brother and longtime owner of a killer mustache) will interview for the job as Cubs manager. Both are also said to be at the top of the Red Sox list, though new GM Ben Cherington has said Boston will take its time before making a decision. Excellent. [Chicago Sun Times]
• The Astros claimed utility player Brian Bixler off waivers from the Nationals today. Bixler hit just .205/.267/.265 last season for Washington, but he did play every position except pitcher, catcher, and second base. [Washington Post]
• Arizona has resigned backup shortstop John McDonald to a two-year deal. McDonald gamely batted .229/.269/.308 in 2011. The deal does have some significance, though: It reveals Arizona's lack of confidence in Stephen Drew's ability to get healthy by opening day. [Hardball Talk]
• Ken Rosenthal throws some shit against the wall.
• Jim Duquette feels it's important for the Mets to retain Jose Reyes, lest they end up in the same predicament the Red Sox were in after they traded Nomar. [New York Times]
• The A's neglected to offer any of their five free agents contracts, which allows us all to wonder where Josh Willingham, David DeJesus, Hideki Matsui, Coco Crisp, and Rich Harden will play next year. [San Francisco Chronicle]
• R.A. Dickey is planning to climb Mount Kilimanjaro this offseason.