Former NHL player Marek Svatos died of “combined drug intoxication,” according to a report released today by the Douglas County (Colo.) Coroner’s Office.
Svatos, 34, was found dead in his Lone Tree, Colo., home on Nov. 5 after a family member called for medical attention. According to the coroner’s report, toxicology testing found that Svatos had codeine, morphine, and Xanax in his system when he died.
“Drug paraphernalia was found at the scene,” the report says, though the coroner was unable to determine whether Svatos’s death was accidental or intentional.
The Slovak winger played parts of seven seasons in the NHL, all but one of them with the Avalanche.