I’m so, so sick of this, but if I have to deal with it I’m gonna make you deal with it too:
Yes, our big flaccid president decided to weigh in (mere minutes after seeing it on the teevee, natch) on Marshawn Lynch’s continued protests of racial inequality and police brutality, which he’s been doing all season long. And while a number of players continued their protests this week, Lynch is getting extra attention because he rose for the playing of the Mexican national anthem, since the Raiders-Patriots game was held at Mexico City’s Estadio Azteca.
(Not that Lynch was particularly attentive during the Mexican anthem; he spent it getting his equipment strapped on.)
Here’s video of Lynch during “The Star-Spangled Banner.” He’s by the Gatorade coolers at the near edge of the field.
Do we have to do this again? Let’s run through it as quickly as we can.
- Yes, NFL ratings are down, but no more than ratings are down across all live sports, and indeed, all television. In fact, some readings of the ratings show that more people are watching the NFL this year; they’re just watching less of it.
- No, the NFL is not going to suspend Marshawn Lynch, that’s fucking stupid.
- Yes, Mexico has major problems with police violence and racism toward Afro-Mexicans. It’s not a competition. Lynch lives in America and wants America to be better and so his protest is with this country.
- No, I don’t know what Papa John the Pizza Man thinks about this.
- Yes, Trump is probably more concerned with his own historically low approval ratings, and this is just more red meat to throw to his base, which is itself bleeding away.
I’m so tired. Let’s just get through this short week.