Woman Who Said Rodney Anderson Raped Her Says The Process "Diminished My Faith In Our Local Judicial System"
Photo: Sue Ogrocki/ [object Object] The Oklahoma graduate who said that Sooners running back Rodney Anderson raped her has released a statement, one day after local prosecutors said they would not charge Anderson. Courtney J. Thornton issued the statement using her name, which is why Deadspin is identifying her.
Thornton had said in a request for a protective order that she had been raped by Anderson, and she also filed a report with the police. In a press conference held yesterday, 10 days after Thornton first went to law enforcement, prosecutors with the Cleveland County (Okla.) District Attorney’s Office announced they wouldn’t bring charges. They gave the following reasons: There was no evidence that she had told Anderson no; a friend told investigators that Thornton told her that she had been excited about what happened with Anderson; text messages between Thornton and Anderson seemed friendly.
In response, Thornton released her own statement today. It is republished, in full, below:
My choice to stay silent to the media was an intentional decision. I held full faith that the Oklahoma criminal justice system would achieve due process with a thorough investigation. Yesterday’s press conference, held by the Cleveland County District Attorney’s office, diminished my faith in our local judicial system. I was speechless when I heard inaccurate statements, a disregard for addressing my inability to give consent, and projected a perceived bias. I was led to believe that the case details provided to the media would be a vague overview of the investigative process. I truly hope their unorthodox, erroneous and egregious release of detailed information does not affect and/or deter future victims from coming forward.
I was unable to immediately recollect the events of November 16th due to my high level of intoxication. I was not “tipsy”—I was incapacitated. Following a night of consuming over 10 shots of alcohol, at least 8 of which he witnessed, I was unable to provide consent after I had “blacked-out.” As stated, I came forward to authorities with the details of my ordeal after I began to remember terrorizing images, thoughts and feelings from that night. My motives for coming forward are pure. My body was violated when I was unable to give consent. I had no desire for anything but justice.
Despite my adamant fight for justice, I have chosen to dismiss my Victim Protective Order upon receiving military orders two days ago to begin training. I look forward to starting this next chapter of my life as a 2nd Lieutenant in the United States Air Force.
In the future, I ask you to consider all sides of every story before resorting to absolutes. Coming forward was one of the most difficult decisions of my life, but I never wanted to regret not reporting what happened that night. In the humble words of Eleanor Roosevelt, ‘What you don’t do can be a destructive force.’”
Best regards,
Courtney J. Thornton
OU Class of 2017
Anderson said last week on Twitter that “I did not do this.” He’s expected to play with the Sooners on New Year’s Day in the Rose Bowl.
Related
Top 10 NFL Player Prop Bets for NFL Week 13
NFC West Power Rankings: Rams Lead the Pack in Week 13
Lane Kiffin’s Future Hangs Over Ole Miss After 11-1 Season
Why the Detroit Lions Were Thanksgiving’s Biggest Losers
- Philadelphia Eagles vs Chicago Bears Prediction: Week 13 Betting Picks & Spread Analysis
- College Football Rivalry Week Picks: Best Bets and Expert Predictions for Week 14
- 2025 NFL Week 13 Thanksgiving Betting Preview: Top NFL Bet Picks
- Top Thanksgiving NFL Player Props: Jahmyr Gibbs, Patrick Mahomes, Ja’Marr Chase Picks
- Tuesday November 25th Best NBA Betting Picks, Predictions
- Edmonton Oilers vs. Dallas Stars Betting Pick: Nov. 25th Best NHL Bet
- College Basketball Feast Week Predictions: Top Bets and Maui Invitational Winner

