The Bexar County (Texas) district attorney's office has made it official: Quarterback Case McCoy and linebacker Jordan Hicks, both juniors, will not be criminally charged for an incident in which a 21-year-old woman alleged that one of them had sexually assaulted her while the other looked on in a San Antonio hotel room a few nights before last month's Alamo Bowl.
The DA's decision, first reported by the San Antonio Express-News, ends the confusion over what seemed to be conflicting details about the investigation. [Update (12:35 p.m.): The Daily Texan, Texas's student newspaper, actually first reported this on Wednesday. My apologies.] Lawyers for McCoy and Hicks had said a couple of weeks ago that San Antonio police told them their clients would not be charged. But that same day, the San Antonio PD also said their inquiry would continue. Texas coach Mack Brown eventually reinstated Hicks and McCoy on Jan. 13. But because no law enforcement official had confirmed that the case was closed, McCoy and Hicks continued to twist in the wind.
McCoy and Hicks were never been identified by police as suspects in the case, but Texas did suspend them for the Dec. 29 Alamo Bowl for violating team rules after the woman's allegations first surfaced.