Sports News Without Access, Favor, Or Discretion

Autopsy: Former NFL Player Tyler Sash Died From Accidental Painkiller Overdose

The Iowa Department of Public Health released the autopsy results for former New York Giants safety Tyler Sash, who was found dead in his Oskaloosa home on Sept. 8. According to the findings, the 27-year-old Sash died of an accidental overdose when he mixed two pain medications.

A portion of the department’s statement:

On September 9, 2015 an autopsy was performed by the Iowa Office of the State Medical Examiner on the body of Tyler Sash, age 27. After receipt of laboratory test results, the cause and manner of death was determined to be due to an accidental mixed drug toxicity involving methadone and hydrocodone. A recent shoulder dislocation and a history of chronic shoulder pain were also significant conditions.


The statement added that Sash’s brain would be studied for any signs of chronic traumatic encephalopathy; the examination would be completed in eight to twelve months.

Photo: AP

Contact the author at

Share This Story