Floyd Mayweather outclassed Saul "Canelo" Alvarez on Sunday, landing twice as many punches over a 12-round dismantling. The AP's unofficial scorecard had it 119-109 Mayweather, and pretty much every observer was in agreement. Except for one of the three judges, C.J. Ross, who inexplicably had it a 114-114 draw. Because of this, her second "unconscionable" scorecard in 15 months, it appears Ross is done with boxing.
"I'm not in control of the judges," Mayweather said after the fight. "I'm a little in shock." Everyone was, including Nevada governor Brian Sandoval. Sandoval spoke with Nevada Athletic Commission chairman Bill Brady yesterday to register his displeasure with the negative attention Ross had drawn the state's boxing.
“I apologized to the governor for any embarrassment we may have caused the state,” Brady said. “He made me aware of his concerns. He wants things done right.”
It's not clear whether Brady then leaned on Ross—we can safely assume he did—but last night Ross emailed the NAC to say she is stepping down indefinitely. "I will be taking some time off from boxing but will keep in touch," the email read.
This fight wasn't the first inexcusable decision by Ross. The June 2012 match between Manny Pacquiao and Timothy Bradley seemed a certain win for Pacquiao—52 of 55 journalists keeping score gave him the fight. But Bradley won via split decision, with Ross one of the two judges scoring it in his favor.
This is probably the end of the road for Ross, a 22-year veteran. She'd have to re-apply for her license when it expires at the end of the year, and according to the Las Vegas Review Journal, she'd likely be turned down.
The heat now falls on NAC executive director Keith Kizer, who vehemently defended Ross's scoring earlier this week. Brady said changes will be made to the commission's process for selecting judges.
“There will be more questions asked, and Keith will be held accountable for his recommendations,” Brady said. “We won’t be a rubber stamp anymore.”