I can't even begin to preview the Boston College/Wisconsin showdown this evening for the NCAA men's hockey national title. But I can put together a list of fun facts and point you in the direction of some people who can help. And if there's anything you need to know about the NCAA women's hockey tournament, you're just going to have to ask Trey Wingo.
• Wisconsin's been considered the nation's best team from the beginning of the season, whereas Boston College was on the bubble to just make the tournament a couple weeks ago.
• The Wisconsin band loves to play a song originally written for a Budweiser jingle in the 70's. At a hockey game in 1975, the crowd once wanted to hear a polka, the only polka that the band director knew was the Budweiser song, so they substituted "Wisconsin" for "Budweiser," and it stuck.
• Each time had a Hobey Baker Award finalist. For Wisconsin, it was goalie Brian Elliot, and for Boston College, forward Chris Collins.
• Black people count: Wisconsin 1 (forward Robbie Earl), Boston College 0.
• Boston College has a lot of NHL ties. Adam Reasoner's brother Marty plays for the Boston Bruins, Andrew Orpik's brother Brooks plays for the Pittsburgh Penguins, and Stephen Gionta's brother Brian plays for the New Jersey Devils.
• The last time Wisconsin made it this far was in 1992, when they lost to Lake Superior State. After the game, several Badgers verbally abused officials, their head coach was suspended by the NCAA, and Wisconsin had their tournament appearance vacated. So if they lose, don't change the channel, they might just wig out.