Tiny tidbits and news niblets from the OTHER bowl games yesterday ...
• It's a depressing, sad label, but it's clear Hawaii's Colt Brennan now owns it: The elite club of "system quarterback." Timmy Chang, Andre Ware, David Klingler ... the more the merrier! Georgia-USC would have been the best game, obviously; Illinois-Hawaii might have been fun too.
• The most entertaining game of the day, without question, was the Michigan-Florida game. It seems weird to see Lloyd Carr carried off the field that way, though, like he's Bear Bryant or something. Maybe if he would have coached as balls-out the rest of his Michigan career as he did yesterday, he might have won a few more bowl games.
• Big Ten check-in: 3-4 in their bowl games, with the BCS title game still coming up. Not as bad as you might have feared, but when you consider the Big Ten hasn't won a Rose Bowl in eight years now ... yipes.
• It's possible that Missouri's win yesterday won't push them up in any polls at all; they're not gonna gain on Georgia or USC, and they were already ahead of Hawaii and Illinois. They're probably a preseason top five team, by the way, and they play Illinois (probably a top 15 team) in the season opener.
• After yesterday, we will confess, our fervor for Oklahoma-West Virginia tonight is, well, minimal. We suspect this is normal.