In the spirit of holiday house-cleaning, it's time for a crash course in comments etiquette. What can you do? What should you definitely never do? What, in effect, do we want from you, Mr. or Ms. Deadspin Commenter?
To be brief- we want you to be funny, we want you to be coherent and we want you to contribute to the post at hand.
For those of you who are new around here, and for those of you who just don't get it, in no particular order, here's what we are looking for in a comment:
* Good spelling and grammar (this includes coherence, capitalization and punctuation).
* Staying on topic. Ask yourself, is this threadjack worth it, or should I make a #hashtag page?
Hashtagging: Wave of the Future!
As stated earlier, staying on-topic in a thread is essential — but ZOMG!!1!! you can also take a topic to your own generated #hashtag page, then direct others there. Ex. The St. Louis Canucks have just traded Joe Pesci to the Florida Squirrels— instead of threadjackin' the Jamboroo, create a hashtag for #canuckstrade and in there, you may safely discuss this move. Additionally, Editors may sometimes caution that a thread has gone off-topic and should be moved to another forum.
Working for "#tips!"
The Gawker #tips pages have become quite a scene, man: #tips and it's high time we show those world-weary posers what #tips are all about. The #tips tag is the best way to share breaking news, leaked info, links of interest and timely video. Give us some substantive lines on why we should follow up, and your post may be promoted or featured on the blog. The #tips page is also an excellent space to audition as a first-time commenter with a juicy tidbit or to show off your investigative instincts. Self-promoters and spammers will be summarily banned, but quality contributors have the spotlight. Go to http://deadspin.com/tag/tips/ and let us know what's going on.
A Room of One's Own
Attention! In addition, there is now an informal commenter forum, [#duan], where the conversation is yours to guide. This is the place to add comments, liveblogs, pictures, video, and links that are relevant to your community. It's also easy to jump over here if you find yourself veering off-topic and want to take others with you.
Rules of Behavior
These go for everyone:
* Personal attacks, inappropriate behavior and off-topic rants in comments are subject to bans, disemvowelling and deletion.
* Commenters can be demoted for unruly or obscene posting.
* Your privileges are not guaranteed. This is not Princeton, and you most certainly do not have tenure. Poor performance will get you demoted and de-starred.
* Be careful in the comments you approve and promote. Promoting a comment just to tell someone they suck is pointless, best to ignore them. Do it and you will be de-starred.
As always, we and the editors are always on the lookout for our best contributors, to promote and star for brilliant efforts. Do your best, be creative and we will see you on the Internet!