Our first 2008 chapter of Minor Enterprise is still a few weeks away, but there's no reason we can't get a jump on the Minor League Baseball promotional season with this bit of news: The Macon Music of the South Coast League will hold Eliot Spitzer Night on June 13th. I already have my tickets.
The team announced Wednesday that Luther Williams Field will play host to Eliot Spitzer night on June 13 in honor of the disgraced New York governor who announced his resignation Wednesday after allegations surfaced about his involvement in a prostitution ring. The plans call for an invitation extended to Spitzer to attend the game and throw out the first pitch. Other elements for the promotion include:
• The Music will give away a trip to New York and a one-night stay at the Mayflower Hotel.
• The ninth fan - or Client No. 9, as Spitzer was known in the prostitution ring - into the ballpark will receive a free Music prize pack.
• Fans with the name Eliot, Spitzer or Kristen, along with any fan from New York, will receive $1 off admission. Any fan who has ever resigned a position will also receive $1 off admission.
• The Music will play Frank Sinatra songs throughout the night.
• Wire taps will be placed around the stadium.
• Fans will be able to use ATMs in the ballpark available for cash withdrawals not to exceed $5,000 per hour.
• The 871st fan through the gates will receive a gift certificate for the team store.
Nowhere, however, do I see the five golden words I was longing for: "Certificate good for free prostitute."