Explosions Outside Turkish Soccer Stadium Kill 29 [Updated]
Photo Credit: Chris McGrath/ [object Object] A pair of explosions outside a soccer stadium in Istanbul has killed 29 people and injured more than 150 others. Thought to be car bombs, the blast occurred two hours after a match between Besiktas and Bursaspor, two of Turkey’s top teams.
Fans had already left Vodafone Arena after a 2-1 home victory for Besiktas, and so the majority of those injured were police, according to initial reporting by the BBC. But the stadium was not empty, and a television crew wrapping up commentary on the game caught the explosion on camera:
Turkish interior minister Suleyman Soylu said that the government currently believes the blast was a terrorist attack on police, given the timing after the match and the fact that it occurred close to a police bus that was positioned near the stadium’s entrance.
Besiktas has issued a statement condemning terrorist violence in response to the attack. The team has said it does not believe fans were among the injured.
No group has claimed responsibility for the explosion.
This story was updated at 9:00 p.m. with new casualty numbers.
Are the Pittsburgh Pirates Finally Ready to Contend in 2026?
Two Massive Questions That Will Define the NBA’s Second Half
- NBA All-Star Game Betting Preview: Best Picks for World vs. USA and MVP Odds
- NBA All-Star Saturday Picks: Best Bets for the 3-Point Contest and Shooting Stars
- NBA Three-Point Contest 2026 Best Picks and Prediction Markets for All-Star Saturday
- NBA Picks Tonight: Three Best Bets Before the All-Star Break
- Best NBA Betting Picks for Wednesday Feb. 11th Slate
- Early Super Bowl LXI Odds Favor Seahawks, Sleeper Betting Picks & More
- Sunday Feb 8th NBA Picks: Three Best Bets Today

