Sports News Without Access, Favor, Or Discretion

Reports: Warrant Issued For Aaron Hernandez's Arrest

Multiple stations in Boston are reporting that an arrest warrant has been issued for Patriots TE Aaron Hernandez. According to the station, Hernandez will be charged with obstruction of justice, which could be just a precursor to more serious charges.

It's not yet known when or where an arrest could take place, but that it would be the responsibility of the Massachusetts state police, who have been handling the murder of 27-year-old Odin Lloyd since soon after Lloyd's body was found in a North Attleborough industrial park early Monday morning. It's unclear precisely what the warrant is based on, but new evidence discovered yesterday seems to indicate that Hernandez, who has been described by police sources as "uncooperative," was with Lloyd during his final hours.


The Globe reports that video images, taken early Monday, show Hernandez and Lloyd together on Fayston Street in Dorchester, where Lloyd lives. About an hour later, between 3:00 and 3:30, neighbors of Hernandez reported hearing gunshots. Minutes after that, video shows Hernandez and two other men entering Hernandez's house.

ABC News previously reported that Hernandez hired a professional cleaning service to scrub his house later that day.

A law enforcement source close to the case told ABC that Hernandez's home security system, which may include video surveillance, was intentionally destroyed sometime before police first searched his house. Hernandez's cell phone was also broken into pieces when he turned it over to investigators.

Taken together, all this could be the basis for a obstruction of justice charge, if authorities believe Hernandez is actively interfering in the murder case. He has not been ruled out as a suspect, so a charge could serve both to compel him to cooperate, and allow investigators to subpoena additional evidence.


At least one mystery has been solved, though. During yesterday's bizarre events, as news helicopters followed his white SUV as it drove in and around Boston, Hernandez briefly stopped at Gillette Stadium. No coaches or executives were around, Hernandez left after about 10 minutes, and everyone was confused why he had gone there in the first place. The Boston Herald now reports that Hernandez had arrived with the intention of working out, but that staff was waiting for him and told him he had to leave.

Share This Story