In case you missed our insightful and thought-provoking live-blog, the 2015 NBA Draft happened tonight, and, after what seemed like an eternity, the first round is finally over.
The Minnesota Timberwolves kicked things off by selecting Kentucky center Karl-Anthony Towns, a move that was pretty much locked up a month ago. But because it’s Minnesota—which is a mystery state, apparently—nobody really cared.
All eyes were on the New York Knicks and whether they would take the obvious best player, Frank Kaminsky, any of the available dual-threat wings, or go with a less popular foreign selection. Thankfully for those of us who love basketball and hate the Knicks, Phil Jackson and the Melos opted for the latter.
Aside from the Knicks—who ended up doing something actually awesome and trading Tim Hardaway, Jr., for human trampoline Jerian Grant—the night belonged to Miami, who presumably got the steal of the draft in Duke’s Justise Winslow at No. 10.
Of course, this is all being said before any of the players have even played in the league, so who knows—Porzingis and Kaminsky could end up snatching the league next year.
Here’s the full list of first round selections:
- Minnesota Timberwolves: Karl-Anthony Towns
- Los Angeles Lakers: D’Angelo Russell
- Philadelphia 76ers: Jahlil Okafor
- New York Knicks: Kristaps Porzingis
- Orlando Magic: Mario Hezonja
- Sacramento Kings: Willie Cauley-Stein
- Denver Nuggets: Emmanuel Mudiay
- Detroit Pistons: Stanley Johnson
- Charlotte Hornets: Frank Kaminsky
- Miami Heat: Justise Winslow
- Indiana Pacers: Myles Turner
- Utah Jazz: Trey Lyles
- Phoenix Suns: Devin Booker
- Oklahoma City Thunder: Cameron Payne
- Atlanta Hawks: Kelly Oubre, Jr.
- Boston Celtics: Terry Rozier
- Milwaukee Bucks: Rashaud Vaughn
- Houston Rockets: Sam Dekker
- Washington Wizards: Jerian Grant (traded to Knicks)
- Toronto Raptors: Delon Wright
- Dallas Mavericks: Justin Anderson
- Chicago Bulls: Bobby Portis
- Portland Trailblazers: Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
- Cleveland Cavaliers: Tyus Jones (traded to Timberwolves)
- Memphis Grizzlies: Jarell Martin
- San Antonio Spurs: Nikola Milutinov
- Los Angeles Lakers: Larry Nance Jr.
- Boston Celtics: R.J. Hunter
- Brooklyn Nets: Chris McCullough
- Golden State Warriors: Kevon Looney