Chargers RB Najee Harris (eye) hurt in fireworks incident
May 20, 2025; El Segundo, CA, USA; Los Angeles Chargers running back Najee Harris (22) catches the ball during offseason workouts at The Bolt. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images Los Angeles Chargers running back Najee Harris sustained an eye injury in a Fourth of July fireworks incident but is expected to be ready for the start of the 2025 season, according to his agent, Doug Hendrickson.
Harris was one of multiple hurt people in the East Bay town of Antioch, Calif., when the fireworks mishap occurred around 12:18 a.m. on July 5, according to Antioch police.
Hendrickson released a statement Thursday after online rumors began making their way into the mainstream media.
"Najee Harris was present at a 4th of July event where a fireworks mishap resulted in injuries to several attendees," Hendrickson said. "Najee sustained a superficial eye injury during the incident, but is fully expected to be ready for the upcoming NFL season."
Police said one person was in critical condition and four others were transported to hospitals in the illegal use of fireworks incident.
Those transported apparently doesn't include Harris, a former star at Antioch High. According to the San Jose Mercury News, Harris initially went to a hospital in Concord about 15 minutes to the west before later going to Stanford hospital about an hour to the south.
The Antioch Police addressed the incident in a statement on the afternoon of July 5.
"On July 5, at approximately 12:18 a.m., the Antioch Police Department dispatch center received multiple calls reporting an explosion on the 2200 block of Spanos Street," the statement began. "When officers arrived on the scene, they discovered the aftermath of an explosion caused by fireworks.
"... Several victims had already left the scene before the first responders' arrival and were treated at local hospitals. Antioch PD is working to find and speak with all individuals involved regarding this incident. This is an unfortunate accident, and our thoughts are with the family and all those affected during this difficult time."
This past Fourth of July marked the 10-year anniversary of then New York Giants star defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul losing 2 1/2 fingers on his right hand. He returned to the field with a heavily taped hand during the 2015 season but the incident overshadowed his on-field exploits.
Harris, 27, signed a one-year deal, $5.25 million deal with the Chargers in the offseason that could be worth up to an additional $4 million if he meets all incentives for rushing yardage. Harris and first-round draft pick Omarion Hampton (North Carolina) are expected to be the team's main ball carriers.
Harris topped 1,000 rushing yards in all four of his seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers and has 4,312 yards and 28 rushing touchdowns in 68 NFL games (all starts). The Steelers selected him 24th overall in the 2021 NFL Draft, and Harris made the Pro Bowl and the NFL All-Rookie team that season. He became a free agent after the 2024 season.
--Field Level Media
WNBA Picks Today: Caitlin Clark, Dream and A’ja Wilson Props
MLB Picks Today: Two Best Bets for Thursday, August 20
3 Most Overrated Teams in the AP Top 25 Preseason Poll
- Dodgers vs. Rockies Prediction: Best Bets for Tuesday’s MLB Game
- WNBA Picks Today: Best Bets for Tuesday, August 18
- Tigers vs. Pirates Prediction: Best Bets, Odds and Picks for Monday
- MLB Best Bets: 3 Picks to Target on Sunday’s Full Slate
- MLB Betting Picks Today: Two Best Bets for Saturday, August 15
- UFC 330 Betting Guide: Best Bets for Makhachev vs. Machado Garry
- UFC 330 Picks: Top Plus-Money Underdog Prediction

