The ending to last night’s Big Sky Conference tournament semifinal between Montana and Northern Arizona was insane, seeing a game-winning layup, an idiot on the field, and a scuffle between coaches. Here’s an annotation of what you’re seeing above:
- (:0) Northern Arizona’s Kris Yanku makes his second free throw to tie the game at 59-59 with just eight seconds remaining.
- (:10) Montana’s Jordan Gregory converts a layup with 0.4 seconds remaining to give Montana the two point lead.
- (:16) Montana’s Jermaine Edmonds, who is academically ineligible, thinks the game is over and rushes the court. When he realizes his mistake, he dives back towards the bench. Let’s watch that again.
- (:20) The referees spot the diving Edmonds and call the play dead. They could have called a technical, but after huddling decide that Edmonds did not interfere with the play, and do not award one.
- (:37) Northern Arizona’s Kris Yanku attempts a futile game-winning three.
- (:44) Northern Arizona coach Jack Murphy steps towards and yells at a sprinting away referee, and then points at (some places are reporting it as a poke, but I don’t see the contact) Montana coach Travis DeCuire’s chest. DeCuire takes offense, and a scuffle erupts between the two teams.
- (1:25) Montana coach Travis DeCuire angrily and hilariously high-fives Montana fans. Let’s also watch that again.
After all that, Montana will take on Eastern Washington at 9:00 p.m. (EDT) tonight on ESPNU with a Big Sky Conference championship and NCAA tournament bid on the line.