Miami Dolphins wide receiver Jarvis Landry is being investigated for possible battery in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. It was first reported today by Andy Slater of WINZ, and Fort Lauderdale police confirmed to Deadspin that the case is open and has been sent to the Broward County State Attorney’s Office, where prosecutors will decide if they will file charges. Hours after the investigation became public, Landry’s girlfriend issued a statement saying “I was not in any way physically harmed” and that the media is spreading “a completely false story.”
Beyond that, details about the investigation are scarce. The public information officer for the Fort Lauderdale police told me the cover page for the incident report would be the only document made available, but that I’d have to check with the records officer to get it. The records officer told me no information would be made available. Another request to the public information officer resulted in an assurance that “the cover page is available at records now.” The records officer then finally provided me with the heavily redacted report you see below.
That report says very little. It says that an incident, classified as a battery, happened on April 1 at 10:22 p.m., at the offender’s single family home. The weapons/tools are “hands, fist, feet, teeth.” There was one victim. Next to that on the report, it says “none” for injuries and “yes” is marked for the category of domestic. Two other people are involved, they’re classified as other, and the second page only says there was a juvenile.
I asked the public information officer why the case status is listed as “inactive” even though the incident report was redacted as if it were active. The officer said, “That is just a default status and this is an active investigation.”
A few hours after the the investigation became public, Estrella Cerqueira released the following statement. The court case it refers to is a paternity case filed earlier this year by Cerqueira in Broward.