The Yankees will get Kerry Wood from the Indians, agreeing to pay about $1.5 million of the $3.6 million left on Wood’s contract. [SI.com]
Wood was activated from the DL today. Mark Prior wasn’t. Brian Hickey cried while typing that. Joba Chamberlain cried while reading it.
Other deadline-day deals (finalized so far):
• The NL Central-leading St. Louis Cardinals made a three-team trade Saturday, getting pitcher Jake Westbrook from Cleveland and sending outfielder Ryan Ludwick to NL West-leading San Diego. [ESPN]
• Ted Lilly and Ryan Theriot were traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers on Saturday as the Cubs began the deconstruction of their 2007-’08 playoff teams. Lilly, Theriot and $2.5 million went to he Dodgers for infielder Blake DeWitt, and minor league right-handed pitching prospects Kyle Smit and Brett Wallach. [Chicago Tribune]
• The Tampa Bay Rays made a move to bolster their bullpen for the stretch run, acquiring setup man Chad Qualls from the Arizona Diamondbacks for a player to be named later Saturday. [ESPN]
• Lance Berkman gave his blessing to be traded to the Yankees and, unless he changes his mind today, the club will add the switch-hitter to their already strong lineup. And the Yankees didn’t stop there. They also acquired outfielder Austin Kearns last night from the Indians for a player to be named later. [New York Post]
• The Arizona Diamondbacks traded catcher Chris Snyder, minor league shortstop Pedro Ciriaco and cash to the Pittsburgh Pirates on Saturday for former AL Rookie of the Year Bobby Crosby, outfielder Ryan Church and right-hander D.J. Carrasco. [ESPN]
• Rick Ankiel to the Braves?