Sad Day For America: Joey Chestnut Banned From Nathan’s Hot Dog Contest
All good things must come to an end.
That’s exactly the news that came from the New York Post on Tuesday, as American hero and professional eater Joey Chestnut has been officially banned from Nathan’s Fourth of July Hot Dog competition.
Chestnut has won the event 16 times, including seven straight championships since 2016.
The Post reported that a representative from Major League Eating, which sanctions these contests, has bent the knee at Chestnut’s every request. They even allowed him to compete in a Netflix-taped rival hot dog eating contest on Labor Day.
But a brand deal with a rival hotdog company was just too much for Nathan’s to swallow, banning him from this year’s event.
Impossible Foods, which recently launched a vegan frankfurter imposter made from plants, is the company that Chestnut will be representing.
A source told The Post that Chestnut was paid $200,000 to appear in the Nathan’s contest last year, and was offered a $1.2 million, four-year contract going forward.
So, did Chestnut go woke? Eh. He likely secured an even bigger payday from Impossible Foods. That, or this entire thing is a gigantic public relations stunt. Speaking of public relations, MLE released a statement about this dramatic day for the sport:
“We are devastated to learn that Joey Chestnut has chosen to represent a rival brand that sells plant-based hot dogs rather than competing in the 2024 Nathan’s Famous Fourth of July Hot Dog Eating Contest.
“MLE and Nathan’s went to great lengths to accommodate Joey and his management team, agreeing to the appearance fee and allowing Joey to compete in a rival, unbranded hot dog eating contest on Labor Day.
“For nearly two decades we have worked under the same basic hot dog exclusivity provisions. However, it seems that Joey and his managers have prioritized a new partnership with a different brand over our long-time relationship.
“Joey Chestnut is an American hero. We would love nothing more than to have him at the Nathan’s Famous International Hot Dog Eating Contest. We hope he returns when he is not representing a rival brand.”
Chestnut is, indeed, an American hero. This devastating news comes just a few weeks after legendary competitive eater Takeru Kobayashi retired for medical reasons. One would have to imagine that this news is a gigantic blow to the world of competitive eating, and the ramifications are likely impossible to measure. Of course, the folks at Impossible Foods are likely thrilled about his arrival.
"We love Joey and support him in any contest he chooses," an Impossible Foods spokesperson said in a statement. "It's OK to experiment with a new dog. Meat eaters shouldn't have to be exclusive to just one wiener."
It’ll be interesting to follow his next chapter, which apparently includes a rival hot dog eating competition on Labor Day.
It’s good to hear that MLE hasn’t slammed the door shut on a potential reunion one day, but it feels like Chestnut received an offer he simply could not refuse.
WNBA Picks Today: Caitlin Clark, Dream and A’ja Wilson Props
MLB Picks Today: Two Best Bets for Thursday, August 20
3 Most Overrated Teams in the AP Top 25 Preseason Poll
- Dodgers vs. Rockies Prediction: Best Bets for Tuesday’s MLB Game
- WNBA Picks Today: Best Bets for Tuesday, August 18
- Tigers vs. Pirates Prediction: Best Bets, Odds and Picks for Monday
- MLB Best Bets: 3 Picks to Target on Sunday’s Full Slate
- MLB Betting Picks Today: Two Best Bets for Saturday, August 15
- UFC 330 Betting Guide: Best Bets for Makhachev vs. Machado Garry
- UFC 330 Picks: Top Plus-Money Underdog Prediction
